Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Steve McQueen Biopics In The Works

Photobucket
Like most thirty-something year old guys, my husband is a HUGE Steve McQueen fan. Get him started and you'll hear how cool McQueen was, how he was a REAL MAN, how he was like THE MAN. Me? I don't get the Steve McQueen thing mainly because I've never seen any of his movies. Don't judge - I hate action and the 70's kind of give me a rash. Just because I don't get it doesn't mean I dispute it, tho! In fact, I'd like to get to know Steve. In a world full of Zac Efron's and overly thought out hair and eyeliner, I long for a real man's man.
Photobucket (with Natalie Wood)

Not too long ago my husband came home from work all excited because a Steve McQueen biopic is in the works. Competing biopics for that matter! According to The Hollywood Reporter:

The first project, titled My Husband My Friend, is being developed by McQueen’s former publicist David Foster with Roderick and Bruce Taylor, writers of The Brave One, working on the script. It’s based on a memoir written by Neile McQueen Toffel, the star’s first wife.

The second is to be penned by Jesse Wigutow for producers Michael Cerenzie and Christine Peters. It will be based on Marshall Terrill’s biography Steve McQueen: Portrait of an American Rebel. Joining the project as producers are Paramount and Brian Oliver and Chuck Rock of Arthaus Pictures.

Wigutow’s script will chronicle the scope of McQueen’s life, from his early days in reform school to his death from cancer in 1980 at age 50. “McQueen wasn’t only the leading man of his era, he was the prototype for the modern-day movie star,” Wigutow said.


Upon hearing the wonderous news, my husband and I started casting Steve McQueen biopics ourselves. Turns out, it's fun! And...turns out, I think Zac Efron is sniffing around. Ew!

Efron mentions McQueen in this month's GQ: "He’s been getting into Newman’s films lately, he says. Him and Steve McQueen. When-men-were-men kind of actors, and guys who never seemed to put a foot wrong, careerwise, despite not appearing to give that much of a shit about anything but the work.”

Now, I'm not saying there's no place for Zac - but starring in a STEVE FREAKING McQUEEN biopic is NOT it! Here's our list:

Photobucket
Daniel Craig seems to be a favorite choice. He certainly LOOKS like McQueen, especially in his older years - but what about the younger years? I dunno. (It has been reported that one of McQueen's wives would like to see Craig as her late husband.)

I said Leonardo DiCaprio because he could do young and he could be aged. While DiCaprio is in his 30's, I think he could easily pull off 20's and 40's. He's got legitimacy as a REAL actor, but it would have to be one hell of a script and one hell of a director to make it happen. Marty Scorsese?

Then my husband said, "What about James Franco?" And I squealed. I love Franco because he's so cool and he's legit - but not TOO "popular." He's pretty, but not TOO pretty. I like it....do you like it?
Photobucket
Photobucket

Let's hope the dueling biopics don't fight with eachother and stop either one from happening like all of the Janis Joplin biopics we've been teased with for years.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only McQueen I know is a little red race car, but I am not against watching another movie with James Franco in it.
~Hillary

ejf320 said...

Nikki --- you could play Natalie Wood! Such a resemblence!

Unknown said...

ejf320 - THANK YOU! That's a huge compliment.

Sara said...

I don't know anything about McQueen but James Franco went to my high school. Not while I was there, but my sister knew him. Just had to get that in. :)

Unknown said...

You can't say that and not give us some sort of juicy tidbit about him!!

Anonymous said...

Well for obvious reasons...I love Daniel, but I do not see him do a younger McQueen.

I also like Leonardo, but my vote goes to James. He seems to have the "it' factor for this role.

CGSChristine

Anonymous said...

James Franco gets my vote.

Char-

Sara said...

Nikki I'll see if my sister has any tidbits!