Thursday, February 12, 2009

My Own Blast From The Past

A friend of mine found an old column I wrote on Sept. 19, 2003. I'm laughing so hard over it and thought you guys might get a kick out of it, too. I love remembering old gossip.... Man, I wish I had a blog back then so I could have run with the Courtney Love bit.

I'm as surprised by the Bennifer break-up as I was when Ellen Degeneres came out! Aren't you?! Or Rosie!! Now, that was a shocker!!

Seriously folks, has there ever been a more boring break-up? I have received several emails asking me if I was going to send out a "special edition" surrounding the split and I did think about it. But what would I say? At the end of the day, I have one sentence that sums up how I feel.

It's about f*cking time.

Moving on, last Saturday I received an email titled, "Courteny (sic) Love." It read, "is at the 4 seasons hotel in nyc and is loaded with massive amoutns of drugs and syringes and has a gun. shes out of her mind and has compeletely lost control of everything. the staff doesn't know what to do and wants to kick her out. something bad is about to happen/. someone should know. she is trying to kill herself."

Imagine my surprise! But….what do you do with an email like this? I could hardly call The Four Seasons! What would they say? "Why, yes! Courtney Love IS holed up in one of our rooms threatening to kill herself. How did YOU know?"

So, I did the only thing I could think to do. I forwarded the email to my friends Cloud and Ellie and said "Can you believe this sh*t?" And then responded to the person who sent it to me asking "Are you serious? How do you know?"

I received a response! It said, "I am serious and she needs help. no one has the guts to call police or get her help. she has completely lost her mind and is out of control and no one will lift a finger to help her. isn't there someone in NYC you can call that will call the cops or someone? anyone that will have the guts to force her to get the help she needs. plus it would be a breaking story for you. I can't tell you how I know since it would jeopardize too many relationships."

Yes, it WOULD be a breaking story for me…but, alas, I have no way of confirming it or reporting it. What would I say to the NYPD? "I received an anonymous email telling me that Courtney Love is threatening suicide at The Four Seasons! How do I know? Well, um, see…I have this little gossip column online…Well, yeah…like I said, it was an anonymous tip…..No, I don't have any more information. Ok, yeah…I understand, you get lots of crazy calls…Right, you can't check up on all of them…Ok, no - I won't call back unless I have more concrete information." Click.

There was nothing I could really do with this tip, but to the person who sent it to me and to anyone else who may want to send me something in the future - keep it coming! Even when gossip turns out not to be true, I still love it!

0 comments: