Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Tragedy of Tatum O'Neal

Poor Tatum O'Neal. Seriously. Even watching interviews of her talking about her struggles with addiction you can see that she's struggling. There's a part of me that's always rooting for her. Not that I think about her alot...but when I do, I always think about her with a softness in my heart. I know, that sounds very melodramatic. But she just seems so wounded. I thought Liz Smith's article in today's Post was really good.
Photobucket
'DON'T PUT your daughter on the stage, Mrs. Worthington. The profession's overcrowded and the struggle's pretty tough."

That was Noel Coward's lighthearted warning for a parent seeking the limelight for their children. This often falls on deaf ears, especially when the child is really a child and can't object or understand the consequences.

And so I was sad to read about the latest troubles for Tatum O'Neal, arrested on a drug bust in NYC. It seemed to me, and to others who know her, that after a long struggle, this talented girl had made peace with her demons. She gave an interview recently to Chaunce Hayden at Steppin' Out magazine, in which she described herself as "very peaceful and in a good place. I feel good, comfortable and clear." She also spoke of trying to re-establish her reputation and career. "I do think I've gotten some respect back. At least I hope so." Tatum, 44, spoke of working well into her 60s "like Vanessa Redgrave."

I HAVE written about Tatum often. I never thought she should have won that Oscar for "Paper Moon" at the age of 10. (Child actors are too special for such competition.) And to then be subjected to all that "Hollywood glamour." Her parents, actress Joanna Moore and actor Ryan O'Neal, fell short as ideal role models. Moore was abusive, neglectful and drug-addicted. Ryan was an overpowering bully, and less interested in raising a daughter (or his sons) than pursuing his private life - mostly with Farrah Fawcett, with whom Tatum had an acrimonious relationship before she grew up. They reconciled in the wake of Farrah's battle with cancer. (A few years back, while working with Alicia Silverstone, Tatum's famous pop said Alicia was the kind of daughter he wished he'd had. I have always liked Ryan, but that cruel public statement was just too much!)

When Tatum married tennis ace John McEnroe, it seemed as if she was dealing with dear old dad all over again. She fell into drugs. The couple divorced, and her children were taken from her. She has been up and down, recently up, with her role in "Rescue Me." But whenever I see her, I find so much pain in her face, even as she insists that things are improving.


To read the rest of Ms. Smith's article, click here.

0 comments: